The 1971 Dodge Challenger with a 426 HEMI engine is a highly sought-after and revered classic muscle car. Here are some key details about this particular variant:
- Engine: The 426 HEMI engine was a legendary powerplant produced by Chrysler. It was a 7.0-liter (426 cubic inches) V8 engine known for its incredible power and performance. The HEMI (Hemispherical Combustion Chamber) design featured hemispherical-shaped combustion chambers, which allowed for efficient airflow and combustion, resulting in impressive horsepower and torque output. The 426 HEMI engine was renowned for its raw power and dominant performance on the drag strip.
- Performance: The 1971 Dodge Challenger equipped with the 426 HEMI engine delivered exceptional performance. It produced approximately 425 horsepower and 490 lb-ft of torque. The Challenger HEMI boasted quick acceleration and impressive straight-line speed, making it a formidable presence on the road.
- Styling: The 1971 Challenger featured a muscular and aggressive design. It had a long hood, short rear deck, and a wide stance, which contributed to its bold and imposing presence. The Challenger’s exterior design included options for bold graphics, racing stripes, and various trim levels, giving buyers the opportunity to customize the appearance to their liking.
- Transmission: The 1971 Challenger 426 HEMI was typically paired with a heavy-duty four-speed manual transmission, providing drivers with full control over the vehicle’s power. It offered smooth shifts and added to the overall driving experience. However, automatic transmission options were also available for those who preferred automatic shifting.
- Rarity and Collectibility: The combination of the 1971 Dodge Challenger and the 426 HEMI engine is highly prized by collectors and enthusiasts today. Due to the limited production numbers and the potent performance of the HEMI engine, the 1971 Challenger HEMI is considered a rare and highly collectible vehicle, commanding high prices in the classic car market.
It’s worth noting that the 1971 model year was the final year the 426 HEMI engine was available in a Dodge Challenger until its reintroduction many years later. As a result, the 1971 Challenger with the 426 HEMI is considered a pinnacle of classic muscle car performance and an iconic piece of automotive history.