The 1972 Chevelle SS is a classic American muscle car produced by Chevrolet. It belongs to the second generation of Chevelle SS models, which were manufactured from 1968 to 1972. The Chevelle SS (Super Sport) was known for its high-performance capabilities and aggressive styling.
Here are some key features and details about the 1972 Chevelle SS:
- Engine Options: The 1972 Chevelle SS offered various engine options, providing different levels of performance. The available engines included:
- 350 cubic inch (5.7-liter) V8: This small-block V8 engine was a popular choice and offered a good balance of power and efficiency.
- 402 cubic inch (6.6-liter) V8: Also known as the “396” engine, it was the last year this engine was offered and provided more power compared to the 350 V8.
- 454 cubic inch (7.4-liter) V8: Known as the “LS5” engine, it was the top-of-the-line option, delivering impressive horsepower and torque.
- Design: The 1972 Chevelle SS had a distinctive design with bold lines and a muscular appearance. It featured a prominent front grille, dual headlights, and SS badging. The SS package also added unique exterior trim, including a blacked-out grille and chrome accents.
- Performance Features: The Chevelle SS came with performance-oriented features to enhance its driving dynamics. These could include options such as power steering, power disc brakes, heavy-duty suspension, and a limited-slip rear differential. These features contributed to improved handling and overall performance.
- Transmission Options: The 1972 Chevelle SS offered a range of transmission options to suit different driving preferences. These included a 3-speed manual transmission, 4-speed manual transmission, and an automatic transmission.
- Interior: Inside the Chevelle SS, you would find a driver-focused cabin with bucket seats and a center console. The dashboard featured a sporty design with analog gauges and SS-specific trim accents. Optional features like air conditioning, power windows, and upgraded audio systems were also available.
- Collectability: The 1972 Chevelle SS is a sought-after model among muscle car enthusiasts and collectors. It represents the end of an era, as it was the last year for the second-generation Chevelle SS and the final year for the big-block engines in the Chevelle lineup.
The 1972 Chevelle SS is prized for its classic muscle car characteristics, including powerful engines, aggressive styling, and strong performance capabilities. Its iconic design and place in automotive history make it a desirable collectible today.